To enroll on the MERIT Course, students must be enrolled in one of the following departments of the following Graduate Schools:
- ・ Graduate School of Engineering: Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering and Information Systems, Materials Engineering, Applied Chemistry, Chemical System Engineering, Chemistry and Biotechnology, Bioengineering;
- ・ Graduate School of Science: Physics, Chemistry;
- ・ Graduate School of Frontier Sciences: Advanced Materials Science.
All of the following requirements should also be met. Students must:
- ・ Intend to obtain a doctoral degree in the broadly defined field of materials science
- ・ Have an interest in the social and industrial applications of science, and be committed to studying such applications
- ・ Understand the aims of this course as well as its credit requirements
- ・ Intend to pursue a doctoral degree in one of the departments indicated above (see note)
- ・ Be able to commit to applying for a grant as a Research Fellow from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) subsequent to acceptance on this course and continuing with the MERIT Course on achievement of the JSPS grant
- ・ Be aware that a note of the completion of this course will be inscribed on their doctoral degree
Note: Those students intending to seek employment after the completion of their Master’s degrees are not eligible to apply for this course.